Crispy Baked Tofu Nuggets with Sweet Mustard Dipping Sauce
People are always wondering what to do with tofu….
These baked tofu nuggets are so crispy and crunchy that you will never believe they are not fried. The crispy breading and the soft tofu perfectly compliment each other and form a masterpiece when dipped in the sweet mustard sauce.
It’s like a tofu explosion in your mouth!
Makes four servings
- 1 Block extra firm Tofu (about 14 ounces), pressed for 20 minutes and cubed
For the Batter
- 1/2 cup unsweetened soy milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons liquid aminos, tamarind, or soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano powder
- 1 cup gluten-free vegan bread crumbs
Simple sweet mustard sauce
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon vegan mayo
- 1/8 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
The key to any good tofu recipe is making sure that you spend the time to properly press the tofu and rid it of all the excess water. I like to place the block of tofu between two cutting boards and weigh it down with anything heavy I have laying around the kitchen. Let it press for at least 20 minutes to make sure it is nice and dry.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the soy milk, flour, liquid aminos, paprika, onion, garlic, and oregano until well combined.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Lightly Dip the tofu cubes in the batter, cover them in bread crumbs, and place them on the parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until golden, flipping them halfway through the baking time.
- Make the dipping sauce while the tofu is baking. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together yellow mustard, dijon mustard, maple syrup, vegan mayo, and salt until well combined.
- Once you are done baking the tofu, serve and enjoy with the sweet mustard dipping sauce. Yum!