I grew up eating mac & cheese. I pretty much lived off of it!
During prep, I have to get creative with my macros. Unfortunately, Vegan Mac & Cheese recipes are usually very high in fat and lacking in protein so I decided to make a macro-friendly version. For this recipe, you will need high-protein bean, lentil, or chickpea pasta. I personally like to use the Trader Joes red lentil pasta noodles or the EATBanza chickpea elbows. I top this recipe off with some uncooked TVP to add extra crunch and protein. It reminds me of when I used to add breadcrumbs to a mac and cheese casserole dish.
Makes 6 servings
Approximately 301.7 calories per serving
Fat 4.1 / Carbs 41.8g / Protein 24.4g
- 1 bag of high-protein bean, lentil, or chickpea pasta. Cooked according to package directions.
- 1 cup soy milk or any plant-based milk (8 ounces)
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast (40g)
- 2-3 tablespoons tahini (32g)
- 2-3 teaspoons onion salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 cup TVP-Textured Vegetable Protein (48g)
- 2/3 cup raw or steamed peas (96g)
- 1/4 cup raw or steamed shredded carrots (42g)
- In a large bowl or casserole dish, add soy milk, nutritional yeast, tahini, onion salt, and garlic powder. Whisk until well combined.
- Taste cheese sauce and add salt if needed. Add hot cooked pasta to the cheese sauce and coat all the pasta.
- Add optional peas, carrots, and TVP. Mix until everything is well coated.
- The sauce will thicken the longer it sits. Split evenly into 6 containers. Serve and enjoy.