Let’s face it, I am not a fan of anything spicy, but my husband George insisted on me making him a healthier version of his favorite sauce. This sauce is delicious and George absolutely loves it… and I have to admit I like it too. It tastes just like the traditional Buffalo sauce everyone knows and loves, except this sauce does not contain 2 sticks of butter. It’s vegan, gluten-free, and spicy HOT HOT!!!
Makes 1 cup
- 1 cup hot sauce, I used Frank’s RedHot Cayenne Pepper Sauce
- 1/2 cup soy milk
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 2-3 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of tomato sauce, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic granules
If you like this recipe, check out my Healthy Vegan Buffalo Tempeh recipe.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk hot sauce, soy milk, vinegar, sugar, optional tomato sauce, pepper, and garlic granules while cooking over medium heat.
- Cook for 5-10 minutes or until the sauce begins to thicken.
- Let the sauce cool and store in a jar or air tight container.
what type of vinegar do you use for this?
You can use white vinegar or apple cider vinegar.
I don’t eat sugar. What would you suggest substituting for the sugar in the buffalo sauce? Maple syrup maybe? Or honey? Thanks
Maple syrup, or agave